Product recalls are one of the most challenging events for brands to manage and a quick response with an effective plan for action is critical….
How to Avoid Buying Unauthorized Goods This Father’s Day
Blogs | June 15, 2021
Father’s Day is right around the corner, which means time is running out to make your final gift purchases online. We asked our expert eCommerce team for a list of what online shoppers should avoid when buying popular gift items online. Amazing dads deserve amazing, and legitimate, gifts!
Power Tools & Household Goods:
Power tools are a great gift for dads who love to take on their own DIY projects! There are so many trusted big name brands and manufacturers on the market who continue to develop more efficient products, such as cordless tools and grill cleaners. Additionally, the global power tool market is expected to grow to $33.05 billion by 2028, meaning many more power tool options and innovations will be hitting the market shortly. There are thousands of search results for power tools on Amazon, which of course means there is an associated risk with making a purchase online. Here are some things to look out for when browsing the web for the best power tools:
- Check the reviews for photographs of the product and its packaging – counterfeits will be apparent.
- Make your purchase from a reliable, verified retailer or an authorized 3P seller rather than an unfamiliar seller. Buying directly from the manufacturer or retailer ensures the authenticity of the product.
- If the product does not ship from Amazon directly or from an authorized seller, then the likelihood of it being a counterfeit is much higher.
- Beware of unauthorized dropshipping! In some instances unauthorized 3P sellers may list an item they do not have in stock, purchase it from the retailer or manufacturer, and ship it directly to the buyer – which is not allowed on Amazon.
- Check retailers’ websites for sale prices. Some sellers often scour retailers for sale items, list them at the original full price, and profit off the difference.
- A sign of obvious counterfeits may be cheap prices. If the price is too good to be true, it probably is!
For the active dads who like to keep track of their morning run or workout, the Apple Watch may be an excellent choice this Father’s Day. With Apple being such a well-known, high-end brand, the likelihood of counterfeits being sold in the online marketplace is relatively high. Fake Apple Watches are typically made to be as cheap as possible and often have a lot of system issues. Knockoffs may be identical, but they are sold at discounted prices of as much as 10 times. Here are a few things to be aware of when looking for an Apple Watch deal online:
- Buy directly from Apple itself or at least a reputable authorized seller.
- Look at product reviews, photos, and condition reports – do your research!
- Make sure that there is an appropriate return policy for the listing. “No returns” is a red flag when buying such an expensive product.
- Check for IP infringements! Make sure the logos, descriptions, and product photographs are consistent with what Apple has on their website.
- Once again, if the deal is way too reasonable to be true, it most likely is!
- Beware of price gouging. Be sure to cross-check the seller’s prices with the retailer’s prices.
Travel Mugs & Coolers
Whether it be a family barbeque, trip to the beach, or camping road-trip, travel mugs and coolers make excellent gifts for dads who enjoy spending time outdoors, especially in the summer months. No one wants to drink a warm beverage on a hot summer day! American outdoor manufacturer YETI and Amazon recently filed a lawsuit against 3P sellers selling on Amazon. The unauthorized sellers have been importing fake YETI tumblers and attempting to sell them online under the YETI name, damaging their brand reputation. A list of YETI’s authorized sellers can be found under their FAQ. Here are a few things to keep in mind when searching for the perfect travel mug or cooler:
- Compare the product listing photographs with the photographs listed in the reviews. Legitimate items should have a proper brand logo.
- Read reviews to ensure the product is of sufficient quality.
- Again, check to see if the item is being sold by either the brand or Amazon, not a 3P seller.
- Consider looking at other products the seller may have listed. Look out for any consistent complaints or poor product photographs.
Perhaps your dad is in the market for some new golfing attire and equipment. The online marketplace is full of authentic gifts for the avid golfer, however, it is also home to many counterfeit golfing products. Counterfeit clubs are bad for the golf equipment company and the golfer. When you are using a counterfeit product, it will be pretty obvious when the head flies off mid-swing! Here are some best practices to consider:
- Compare multiple products and see if you are able to identify which ones may be fakes. Some fakes may be painted differently, but similar enough to try and fool online shoppers.
- Keep an eye out for poor paint jobs and engravings on clubs. These are major indicators of counterfeits.
- Examine product review photographs with the real product. Counterfeits may be shaped incorrectly or use different hardware.
- This cannot be stressed enough, but if the price is too good to be true, it probably is!
Have you ever been misled by a product you bought online? We’d love to hear about your experiences on the marketplace. Please shoot us a line at www.potoosolutions.com/contact-us. Follow our blog for more tips & tricks throughout the year!
Protecting the world’s most valued brands in the online marketplace.
Follow us to stay updated!
Pharmapacks, an online seller of health, personal care and beauty products, is packing up operations after a failed IPO and the inability to secure additional…